Com1chef.com Exclusive Magimix provider in Asia

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Hokkien Mee @ Kim Lian Kee, Chinatown KL

While we were waiting for our bus at Pudu Raya, we rushed to the Kim Lian Kee, Chinatown to having Hokkien Mee(Hokkien Noodles) as last meal at Kuala Lumpur. This is definitely not our 1st time having Hokkien Mee at Kim Lian Kee, and we never forget how tasty it was when we have had it in our 1st time. Since then, having Hokkien Mee at Kim Lian Kee is a must in my Kuala Lumpur’s itinerary.


Huh? It is just a plate of noodles, what’s the big deal for it? I can forgive you as you haven’t tried yet, but go for it at least once in your life, and you will fall in love with it (I hope so).

Let me brief you in short, although you can find Hokkien Mee elsewhere, but KL Hokkien Mee is an authentic version, which I have tried before when I was young. What is authentic Hokkien Mee? As an authentic Hokkien Mee, 1st of all, the noodles must be ‘Hokkien noodles’ which they are made without the use of preservatives, colouring and alkaline additives. Normally, these firm and smooth noodles are thicker and rounded.

Second, a good Hokkien Mee can’t be presented without pork lard. Pork lard is a key ingredient in cooking Hokkien Mee, Hokkien mee without pork lard - the dish will lost its soul.

Third, a quality stock boiled from big pork bones, chicken, prawn head or flat fish. The skilful cook will simmer the mee with this quality stock, dark sauce, pork lard bits and flat fish bits; stir it until each of the mee can absorb the stock evenly. So, how can you resist from the temptation, as the mee is so flavoursome.

All of the above is trying to describe my previous experience at Kim Lian Kee, but not this time. I was disappointed as it didn’t reach its standard at all. Sigh, hope that they can regain their quality in my next visit; otherwise, I need to look for new place for my Hokkien mee. Do you know where to find quality Hokkien Mee at KL? I am appreciated that if you willing leave me a comment for Hokkien mee recommendation.

金莲记 Restaurant Kim Lian Kee
49-51, Jalan Petaling, 55100 Kuala Lumpur
03-2032 4984
Business hours: 5pm to 5am
Close: Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment